DOMAINE DE ROUBIGNOL
A spacious and beautiful house in the hills hight above the vineyards of the Lot valley
- in 15 hectares of our own land
- sleeps 9 in the Main House
- sleeps 4 more in the Tower
- fully modernized kitchens and bathrooms, otherwise furnished mainly with French antiques and all to a high standard for our own use
- the Tower is on the far side of the house and it is the pigeonnier that you can see in the photos
- Spectacular private swimming pool
Roubignol is a 17th and 18th Century winemaster’s house of stone with tiled roofs. Originally the ground floor was the ‘cave’ where the wine was made. ‘Roubignol’ means little red grape, but ‘Roubignolles’ means something rather risque in French argot – suffice it to say that the air, or the local wines, appear to have aphrodisiac qualities and to find out more you will have to go and experience it for yourself.
The Lot is an unspoiled department to the south of the Dordogne, east of Bordeaux and north of Toulouse. It is the land of Cahors wine, fields of sunflowers and maize, truffles, castles, fortified hilltop towns and hidden cave systems. The Lot forms part of Perigord, one of the famous gastronomic regions of France. Cahors is a fair sized town some 20 km up river and, like Luzech, has Roman origins – it also has a dramatic medieval bridge with three towers, the Pont Valentre, in legend only completed after the architect had made a pact with the devil.
For more details, please visit our website: