Antique Chippendale side table by Butler
A Chippendale side table /centre table by Butler of Dublin. The top in figured mahogany with solid mahogany legs and frieze; finished on all 4 sides with applied blind fret to the frieze and legs and with the the original pierced brackets. Irish mahogany furniture is often polished to a rich dark colour.
Provenance: A country house near Kendal. The family moved from Ireland in the 1960s.
Michael Butler, from a family of Dublin cabinetmakers, is recorded at 26, 126 and 127 Upper Abbey Street, between 1885 1903, then as Michael Butler Ltd, Antique Galleries, from the same address between 1904 to 1912. His firm specialized in reproducing Irish 18th Century mahogany furniture. One of Butler's most prestigious commissions was to furnish the Viceregal Lodge in 1903, in preparation for a state visit. Other patrons of his included the Earl of Abercorn, the Earl and Countess of Coventry, the Countess of Clonmell and the Duke and Duchess of Connaught, who bought furniture for Clarence House.
Width: 57¾'' / 146.5cm
Height: 32¼'' / 82cm
Depth: 26½'' / 67.5cm
Stock Number: S644 [MOX-597]